Tetsuya's EnglishBlog

Saturday, August 26, 2006

I came home about a week ago. The reason I could not post new one is, since I went back to Japan, I needed time to consider this journey carefully. Because I had too many precious experiences or memories in MD so that I can hardly deal with them well. Also I needed to ask myself, for instance, “What have I learned from this program?” though I haven’t found exactly… And I got well from time lag (by three days ago, I was so sleepy). So I’d like to look back.

The thing I noticed first was “individualism”. It is often said that individualism is true of U.S, whereas collectivism is true of Japan. I felt “individualism” directly. When we had to decide what we did next, Nina often said, for example, “You don’ have to stay at Washington and eat dinner. You can go back to College Park and eat there” This is greatly impressive to me. In Japan, we are often supposed to do the same thing with everyone (though it is a little bit less). Apart from which one is better, I felt really comfortable. Because in Japan I sometimes had to do what I didn’t wanted to do.
I still have many things I noticed, but it takes much time to write those things. So I’d like to publish next time!!

So today I'm going show you my pictures!!






This is Laura and me at farewell party!! She is pointing out her necklace that was presented. Don't you think it's good on her??
You're going to come soon,huh? I can't wait!!


This is Ji won and me at the party!! I used to hang around downtown with him!! He is great guy!! He taught me many things about English.
I hope I would stroll with him again!! And the wish will come true at January!!



This is Tim and me at Karaoke !! We have been to Karaoke twice during AGU program!! I sang many songs with him!!
I want to take him to Kyoto because he wanted to go!! Though I've been only once(ha ha).














They are great mentors and all the memories with them are my treasures!!

3 Comments:

  • Tetsuya,
    It was great to read your post and see your pictures.

    I found your comment about individualism very interesting. My inclination (when I was planning the program in June and July) was to offer choices whenever possible--for example, to have 2 choices of museums in the morning and 2 more in the afternoon of Aug. 6. However, several people advised me that the students would prefer to be told where to go. I did not find this to be true. Do you remember that on that day, quite a large group of students opted to visit the National Gallery and/or the American History Museum in the afternoon? So I have decided that if I am asked to coordinate another program like this, I will offer choices.

    I hope you will write more on your impressions of your stay in the U.S.!

    By Blogger Nina Liakos, At 11:24 PM  

  • Hello,Tetsuya!
    I'm glad you added the new post on your blog!

    Yeah, I thought about individualism as well. The Japanese are likely to do everything as a group, and we always care about what the other people think. So it's completely different when it's compared to the American, isn't it? I usually do what I want, and I think I don't care about what other people think very much. But some friends of mine always care about that, and they always make decisions after some people make decisions. So they always agree with the majority one. I think they're comfortable with that, but I don't like to be a person like that because it might change who I am.

    By Blogger Hiromi, At 6:50 PM  

  • Individualism perhaps is the one characteristic that most accurately describes the
    American culture, since America itself was founded on the basis of Independence. People are encouraged to express their opinions freely, and at the same time they are expected to be responsible for the consequences of their actions. If a person wishes to succeed in America, I think that individualism is something that ought to be mastered.

    By Blogger Ji Won, At 12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home