Tetsuya's EnglishBlog

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Cherry Blossoms

Hi~(^▽^)
In this winter, we have unusually warm days in Japan.
Though it is good for me to get out of bed easily every morning, something wrong may happen!
That is about Cherry Blossoms.
In general, Japanese like Cherry Blossoms. My family often go out for some parks to see beautiful Cherry Blossoms, packing food and drinks (including alcohols) into boxes. Then, we start to hold bash!! We call this activities "Ohanami" ( what do you say to going Ohanami with us Laura? I'll going to take you to certain place! And, let me know when you pay to visit to Japan, Nina. I'll show you all around Japan!(^▽^))
But I found some article saying that flowering could occur later than usual!! Some weather forecasters says that they might bloom in Jury!!!
Oh boy!! No Cherry Blossoms in spring, No Japan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is due to the characteristic of Cherry Blossoms. After the flowers have fallen, new buds are formed by the summer. During the cold winter months,the buds need to be exposed to low temperature ( about 5 C) , which make it possible to stir the buds from inactive condition.
But temperature around Japan were so high! We haven't any inch of snow at all in Tokyo this winter!! ( though I saw snow from my house, which is located in Yokohama) This is a big problem too!!! I love snow as much as Cherry Blossoms!!!

1 Comments:

  • Hi Tetsuya,
    Our winter has been unusually warm too, except for recently. We had a big ice storm last week and temperatures in the 20s, so the ice did not melt for days. You can see a photo of me standing on top of the solid ice in my front yard at http://nliakos.multiply.com/journal/item/3

    As of yesterday, it warmed up a little bit and now the ice is beginning to melt. In a month, spring will be here!

    It will be sad if there are no cherry blossoms in Japan due to the warm winter. :-( But that won't mean that there is "no Japan", I am sure!

    By the way, Laura visited me today! She is going back to japan on Saturday. It was great to see her!

    By Blogger Nina Liakos, At 4:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home